Ina poker game, you’ll hear all sorts of expressions and terminologies from dealers and other players. You should know what they mean exactly. A simple misunderstanding can make you lose a bet. Here are some poker terms you should know by now.
What is Poker?
Poker is a card game with different game plays. Players make a bet in poker. Other players stay in the game by meeting the amount or raising the stakes. Otherwise, one has to drop out. Whoever has a higher hand collects the winnings.
Poker Hand Terms
Here are some terms for the type of poker hand you may have in the game of poker.
- A poker hand is a set of 5 cards you receive from a dealer and arrange according to either of the following types that follow.
- The Kicker is a side card that has no arrangement or grouping with the other cards.
- A 1-pair hand gives you 2 cards of the same rank plus 3 kickers.
- The 2-pair hand gives you 2 different 1-pair arrangements plus 1 kicker.
- A 3 of a kind hand gives you 3 cards of the same rank plus 2 kickers.
- The 4 of a kind hand gives you 4 cards of the same rank plus 1 kicker.
- A 5 of a kind hand gives you 5 cards of the same rank. The fifth is usually a wild card.
- The Straight hand gives you 5 cards in sequence. This differ in suits.
- A Flush hand gives you 5 cards of the same suit but different values.
- The Straight flush hand gives you 5 cards in sequence and of the same suit.
- A Royal straight flush hand gives you 5 cards in sequence, of the same suit, and with these values: a high ace, king, queen, jack, and a 10.
- The full house hand gives you 3 of a kind and a pair. This, of course, are of different suits.
Game Play Terms
If you’re deep in the game, then you must know what all these game play terms mean:
- To raise means to put in a bet that equals at least the last bet value made. This means, you can give a higher bet, but you can’t give a lower one.
- To fold means to trash your poker hand and lose the chance to win the current pot in play. You no longer need to bet, but you can’t win in that round.
- To call means to equal a current bet or to equal a raise made. The round finishes when all gamers have provided equal amounts or all other players fold. If no one responds to a call, the player wins the round and the pot money.
There we have it. Poker terms you should know. The next time you watch or play a poker game, you’ll be in the know of what’s going on. So go on and try your luck in a poker game. Good luck!